Cooking pork has mystified me for years.
Every time I prepared it, even following a recipe it never seemed to turn out very tender.
Before I realized that wheat and I had to break up (it was a 39 year relationship so it wasn’t an easy one) I used to make
this and bring it camping, or serve all year long on big rolls with extra sauce.
Yum is right!
But, with wheat out of my life & realizing I needed to find some good celiac recipes, I altered many of my favorites to
fit my new diet. And since I have been on a low carb diet (30 pounds lost so far!) we roll this yummy pulled pork goodness
up like a lettuce wrap.
It’s easy, economical, tastes wonderful, travels well & can be made ahead.
Need I say more? I love it just in case I had not expressed it enough yet.
Ok, let’s git you some k?
Here is what I use to make my favorite pulled pork in the whole, big, entire world:
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
adapted from this great recipe
- 3-4 pound pork roast (try to find one without a lot of fat on it)
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- a pinch or two of cayenne pepper (this gives it great flavor without being spicy, add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Splenda (honey can also be substituted if you are not following a low carb eating plan)
- 1 large onion cut in chunks
Begin by greasing your slow cooker with a bit of butter or olive oil. Place the onions in the bottom and
the pork on top. Mix dry seasoning & Splenda together and shake over the pork. Add red wine vinegar
around the edges and cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours, until pork is tender and easily falls apart. Keep
liquid at the bottom of the slow cooker, shredding the pork with two forks and allowing the meat to
absorb the liquid.
Serve with a huge salad and steamed, buttered cauliflower for a yummy low carb dinner!