Yes, apple pie plus quick bread…
Oh, I almost forgot,
with a cinnamon glaze that kind of tastes like cinnamon toast.
And if you love nuts, well you can add those too.
I threw a couple handfuls of chopped walnuts in, pecans would be amazing too.
I didn’t have any Granny Smith apples on hand so I used what I had, Golden Delicious.
And they worked perfectly.
I know you usually hear that certain apples are not for cooking, and while that is true
for an apple pie or apple cobbler, small chunks of apple in muffins or bread seem to hold
up just fine.
Wouldn’t a loaf of homemade bread make a great neighbor or teacher gift for the holiday’s?
Everyone loves to receive a few home baked goods around Christmas, so many people just don’t
have time to bake that a homemade gift means that much more.
These freeze well too, when they are fully thawed, make the icing and drizzle it over the top
of the loaves and allow it to set before wrapping.
Well, these loaves aren’t going to bake themselves, fire up your oven and let’s make something
- 3 cups of flour or gluten free flour mix
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- dash of salt
- 2 cups of sugar of Splenda for baking
- 1 cup of oil
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 cup of walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
- 3 apples peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- a Tablespoon or two of milk
- Blend dry ingredients except sugar in a mixing bowl, fold in nuts and set aside. Preheat oven to 300* and grease 2 loaf pans (regular size) Combine wet ingredients in another bowl, combine with flour mixture and fold in apples. Divide between two baking pans and bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when the center is tested.
- Once bread has cooled, stir together glaze ingredients and drizzle over the top of each loaf.
- Let bread cool about 20 minutes, loosen and remove from pans, cool on wire rack or waxed paper.