I decided to do a topiary head count today, including the Christmas topiary pair
gracing the sofa table, I counted eight.
I’m not sure if that is too many.
But the count will be reduced to six once all of the Christmas decorations have
been put away.
That was until, I put some laundry away.
I set the basket down on the bed and began putting away each sock and t-shirt
in it’s proper drawer, silently wishing they would stay clean. Forever.
Then I saw it.
A teeny little green topiary sitting innocently on our dresser.
Nestled in with all of my bedroom decor, and a few pull-ups for the
last and final child to be potty trained.
That friends is #9.
But you know, once those two Christmas topiary are back in their boxes
seven doesn’t seem so bad.
And peace was restored in the land.
I still dislike laundry however.
So after the hoard-tastic count that I just admitted to, you are probably
asking yourself why on Earth I would want another topiary.
I will tell you why, because the others are all boxwood or leaves, and I
found a really pretty chartreuse moss I want to use. And I found a
super cute white ceramic urn while I was thrifting this weekend.
The stars aligned, we are making a topiary folks…
There are a few ways you can do this. The easiest by far is to use a
green topiary base that already has the stem and pot filler connected.
The second easiest is using a green Styrofoam ball, a wood dowel
glued into it to create the “tree” and shaving a small brick of florist’s
foam down to fit into your container. Using glue to secure in all
places, you are in business.
You can purchase moss in sheets online or at the craft store, but I have
found that Spanish moss comes in a variety of shades and also is pretty
much in a sheet that you can tack down around the foam ball to cover it.
Here is what I used:
One topiary base
Florist foam if creating your own base with a dowel and foam ball
Moss and Spanish Moss in a couple different shades of green
Moss green jute twine (I found mine in the floral area at JoAnn Fabrics)
Serrated bread knife for trimming or cutting any areas down to fit
I began by trimming down my base to make sure it would fit in my
ceramic container. Next I covered my workspace with waxed paper for
easy clean up. I spread one package of green Spanish moss out on the waxed
paper, being careful not to pull it apart too far.
Working in about 6 to 8 sections, one at a time, I covered a few inches with
hot glue and pressed the sheet of moss around the top and down the sides of
the foam ball. One package covered very well and there were only two small
areas I needed to put a dab of glue on and cover with a bit more moss.
Once I was done I secured the base into the container with a bit more hot
glue and covered the foam base with more moss. I didn’t want the moss
ball to look perfect, but a little untamed and unruly (that way we have a lot
in common hee hee.) I used about four feet of twine at a time, and took
turns gently wrapping it around the moss ball in different directions until
it looked like a cage that the moss was kind of growing through. After
tying and trimming the twine, my thrifty new topiary was all done.
The Cottage Market
French Country Cottage
Create Craft Love
Miss Mustard Seed
Design, Dining & Diapers
OPC: The Humble Brag Link Party
Give Me The Goods Monday